ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard:
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard was developed to connect assurance about business’ practices under the ASI Performance Standard, to claims about aluminium and responsible sourcing.
The ASI CoC Standard defines requirements for Entities and Facilities implementing chain of custody management systems, including systems for sourcing, accounting and transfer of CoC Material and Eligible Scrap. It covers both primary and secondary (recycled) production, throughout the aluminium supply chain.
Second Consultation (2017)
Draft Version 1 (2017)
As a result of the 2016 consultation, draft 4 of the Chain of Custody Standard, plus accompanying draft 2 of the Guidance were developed and released for the 2017 consultation.
Outcomes of the 2017 consultation
The 60-day public consultation period for review and comment on the draft ASI Standards and normative documents ended in July 2017.
- Access the full set of comments here: Log of 2017 Public Consultation Feedback (16.08.17)
- Access ASI responses to the comments: Log of ASI Responses to 2017 Public Consultation Feedback (24.11.17)
First Consultation (2016)
The first public consultation period for the Chain of Custody (CoC) Draft 3 and Guidance Draft 1 was open from Friday October 21 until Friday December 23, 2016. The consultation versions are available below for information purposes, along with a log of comments received.
- ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard – Draft 3 – For Public Consultation – October 2016
- ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standards Guidance – Draft 1 – For Public Consultation – October 2016
- La norme de chaîne de contrôle CoC de l’ASI – 3ème version préliminaire pour consultation publique – Octobre 2016
- Market Credits System proposal – FAQ [pdf]
2016 Consultation outcomes
In Q1 2017, the ASI Standards Committee considered all the feedback and comments received from the 2016 consultation. A log of the comments received and ASI’s responses is available in an Excel file below. The comments can be re-ordered using the filter tabs at the head of each column. A separate tab groups specific feedback on the Market Credits System that was submitted in a dedicated section on the comments form. A summary report is also available:
Standard-setting procedure and plan 2016
In April 2016, the ASI Standards Committee was established and has worked to formalise its approach to standards development in accordance with ISEAL requirements, and prepared a new draft of the CoC Standard for public comment. The following have now been published on the ASI website:
- April 2016 onwards: Minutes of Standards Committee meetings.
- June 2016: ASI Standards Setting Procedure: this sets out how the Standards Committee develop and approve new and revised standards for adoption by the ASI Board.
- July 2016: ASI CoC Standard – Public Summary and Consultation Plan: published for public comment from July to September 2016.
CoC Version 1, Draft 1 (2014)
Draft 1 of the CoC Standard was drafted and reviewed with the ASI Standards Setting Group (SSG) during 2014. It proposed a mass-balance volume-credit model, which can be applied at the company and/or facility level. Following input from the SSG and some stakeholders, Draft 2 of the CoC Standard was then published on the ASI website in January 2015.