August 2021 Newsletter headlines
Here are the highlights from the latest newsletter edition:
Horizon issues for the aluminium industry
The ASI Board has been engaging in a range of futures discussions to support long-term strategy development for ASI. While GHG is a dominant focus for many stakeholders, the sustainability challenges for the industry are much broader. These long-term, structural challenges are the wider horizon in which ASI seeks to drive positive change and transformation. Read more.
Two new Standards Committee members elected
Two of our valued Standards Committee members, Giulia Carbone (IUCN) and Rafael Hammer (Ronal) are leaving their organisations, which opened up two vacancies on the ASI Standards Committee. The two casual vacancies created by these departures have now been filled following a formal nomination process.Case study published: Gulkula — The Indigenous Mine Pioneering Sustainability in the Aluminium Supply Chain. Read more.
M&E Insights: Analysis of 2020-2021 GHG Emissions disclosures by ASI Certified Entities
Following an inaugural study carried out in 2020, ASI has today published a report that analyses greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and energy use data disclosures by ASI Certified Entities with certification periods covering April 2020 to March 2021. The study, conducted by Atmolite Consulting Pty Ltd, contributes to understanding progress towards ASI’s medium-term outcome to reduce climate change impact. Read more.
Watch the recording: Increasing transparency along the value chain: ASI-CRU collaboration on responsible production and supply, including GHG emissions
In July, ASI announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with CRU Group, the global mining, metals and fertiliser business intelligence company relating to a broad collaboration on sustainability data integration. In a webinar, held on August 18, Chris Bayliss (ASI Director of Standards) and Lavan Mahadeva (CRU Research Director) discussed the first concrete output of the ASI-CRU collaboration: the integration of ASI Certification status data of bauxite, alumina and aluminium smelting assets into CRU’s Emissions Analysis Tool. Read more.
ASI Certifications update
In August, ASI Members achieved 8 new certifications, with several more in the announcement pipeline. Read more.
- Yunnan Haoxin Aluminum Foil Co., Ltd. has achieved ASI Performance Standard certification for aluminium re-melting, refining and rolling activities.
- Thai Beverage Can (TBC) has achieved ASI Performance Standard Certification with Provisional Status and Chain of Custody Standard Certification for the manufacture of aluminium can body and ends for the beverage and beer industry at their material conversion plant in Saraburi, Thailand.
- Shangqiu Yangguang Aluminium Product Co., Ltd. has achieved ASI Chain of Custody Standard certification for aluminium casting, cold rolling, annealing and packing operations and related management activities.
- Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA) has achieved ASI Performance Standard certification for its aluminium smelter and casthouse operations, and other associated facilities at their Jebel Ali plant in UAE.
- Yunnan Yongshun Aluminium Co., Ltd. has achieved ASI Chain of Custody Standard certification for its smelting, casting and sawing activities for the manufacture of aluminium alloy flat ingots.
- Ma’aden Aluminium has achieved ASI Performance and Chain of Custody Standard Certification for bauxite mining at the Al Ba’itha mine in Qassim Province and alumina refining and smelting, aluminium re-melting, as well as casting and rolling operations at Ras Al Khair Industrial City in Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia.
ASI Membership news
In August, ASI welcomed six Production & Transformation members, one Industrial User member, two General Supporter members, and one Civil Society member bringing the total number of ASI members to 190. Read more.
- Cevher Jant Sanayii A.S (Cevher Alloy Wheels) – Industrial User
- Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. – General Supporter
- Sohar Aluminium Company LLC – Production & Transformation
- ALUFUN – General Supporter
- Hunter Jobs Alliance – Civil Society
- AWB Aluminiumwerk Berlin GmbH – Production & Transformation
- Tri-Arrows Aluminum Inc. – Production & Transformation
- Sanyuan Aluminium Co., Ltd. – Production & Transformation
- Logan Aluminum – Production & Transformation
- China Hongqiao Group Co., Ltd. – Production & Transformation