Here are the highlights from the latest newsletter edition:
Onward and upward in 2021
While the pandemic has continued to throw curveballs, 2021 has been another successful year for ASI. Our mission of responsible production, sourcing and stewardship of aluminium has driven our collective work, and brought together a growing group of global stakeholders to participate in the work ahead. Read more.
M&E Insights special edition: Climate COP 26 outcomes and ASI alignment
The COP26 event in Glasgow, Scotland in November saw a renewed commitment of almost 200 governments (Parties) to pursue efforts to limit global average temperature rise to 1.5oC above pre-industrial levels, a commitment that is shared by the ASI Standards Committee when developing our Standards. While the decisions and resolutions from COP26 were principally about Parties, ASI’s focus, while not blind to the actions of Parties, is on non-state actors – industrial producers. Read more.
New learning module helps to understand local contexts of bauxite mining in Guinea
In the new educationAl learning module, “The globalisation of the Guinean bauxite mining industry,” Dr. Penda Diallo, ASI Qualitative Research Manager touches on several themes that offer key insights into Guinea’s bauxite mining industry, with a focus on due diligence. Read more.
Krista West, currently ASI Standards Adviser, on sabbatical starting in January 2022
With the task of bringing the Revision process to fruition in the capable hands of Chris Bayliss and the ASI team, Krista is taking some well-deserved leave and seizing an opportunity to follow a long-held dream of hitting the road in a van to explore parts yet unseen across the Americas. Read more.
Public consultation starts on January 7; two Standards Revision webinars coming up on January 13, 2022
With the second and final public consultation on the draft revised standards documents kicking off on January 7, ASI is organising two online sessions to discuss with stakeholders the key changes and next steps. Read more.
Join us for 45 minutes on… Crunching the numbers: Analysing ASI Certification Data using the new ASI Public Dashboard
With more than 150 Certifications issued to date and a strong pipeline of new and re-Certifications, the Public Dashboard enables all stakeholders to easily gain both a detailed and big picture view of the ASI program via tabular and graphical data, search and filter functionalities, and more. Read more.
ASI Certifications update
In December, ASI Members achieved four three certifications, with several more in the announcement pipeline. Read more.
- Gränges has achieved ASI Chain of Custody Standard Certification for its casting and rolling operations at its Gränges Finspång AB plant in Sweden. The facility also achieved full Performance Standard Certification status, which supersedes the Provisional Status Certification achieved in February 2021.Consult the media release.
- Ulsan Aluminum has achieved ASI Performance Standard certification for its casting, hot/cold rolling and finishing operations in Ulsan, South Korea. Ulsan Aluminum, a joint venture between Novelis and Kobe Steel in Japan, supplies aluminum sheets and plates to beverage can, automotive and specialties markets. Consult the media release.
- Aluminium Dunkerque has achieved ASI Chain of Custody Standard Certification for the production of aluminium rolling slabs and foundry ingots for remelting at its facility in Dunkerque, France. The plant achieved Performance Standard Certification in August 2020. Consult the media release.
ASI Membership news
In December, ASI welcomed two Production & Transformation member, three Industrial User members, and two General Supporter members, bringing the total number of ASI members to 207. Read more.
- CMS Jant Sanayi A.S. – Industrial User
- CHALCO Shandong Advanced Material Co. Ltd. – Production and Transformation
- Bathco AG – General Supporter
- apt Holding GmbH – Production and Transformation
- CPI Ningxia Energy Aluminium Qingxin Carbon Co. Ltd. – General Supporter
- The Cookware Company Ltd. – Industrial User
- Gerhardi Alutechnik GmbH – Industrial User
ASI Secretariat team members will be speaking at the following events. Read more.
- IBAAS-JNARDDC 2022 Conference and Exhibition • February 2-4, 2022
- ALUS’10 • March 3-4, 2022
- Sustainable Industrial Manufacturing • March 9-10, 2022