Welcome to the Library. Our aim is to present stories, media and links relevant to the aluminium industry, exploring the context within which the ASI works, as well as portraying the efforts and outcomes of the ASI, its members and partners.
ASI Performance Standard V2 (December 2017)
The ASI Performance Standard defines environmental, social and governance principles and criteria, with the aim to address sustainability issues in the aluminium value chain.
Guidance: ASI Performance Standard V2 (December 2017)
The ASI Performance Standard Guidance is designed to assist ASI Members to fulfil their commitment to implement the Performance Standard and achieve Certification.
ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard sets out requirements for the creation of a Chain of Custody for CoC Material, including ASI Aluminium, which is produced and processed through the value chain into diverse downstream sectors.
Guidance: ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody Standard Guidance has been developed as a resource to assist ASI Members seeking CoC Certification, and for ASI Accredited Auditors carrying out independent third party audits.
ASI Assurance Manual V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Assurance Manual set out the principles, procedures and objectives for the assurance model that support ASI Certification. It aligns with the principles outlined in the ISEAL Alliance Code of Good Practice.
ASI Complaints Mechanism (November 2015)
The ASI Complaints Mechanism aims to ensure the fair, timely and objective resolution of complaints relating to ASI’s standards setting processes, certification program, auditor conduct and ASI policies and procedures.
ASI Governance Handbook (September 2017)
The ASI Governance Handbook provides an overview of the design and implementation of the ASI governance model. It is aimed at orienting and guiding the various participants in ASI’s governance structure, including Board directors, Committee members and ASI staff.
ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy (September 2017)
The purpose of competition/antitrust law is to ensure that markets are free and fair by prohibiting distortions of competition. The ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy aims to ensure that nothing done by ASI and/or its members in contravention of competition laws at any level.
ASI Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy (May 2016)
The Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy sets out the form and manner organisations must follow to apply for ASI membership.
ASI Confidentiality Policy (September 2017)
ASI elementAl System Users Policy (September 2017)
ASI Style Guide (December 2017)
The ASI Style Guide covers the rules for working with the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) identity, and defines how to use typefaces, colours and imagery. This style guide is intended as a reference and guide for the use and reproduction of the ASI brand.
Procedures and applications
ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure (June 2017)
The ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure describes the process and requirements for the accreditation of Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) and their Individual Auditors which once accredited by ASI, are known as ASI Accredited Auditors.
ASI Registered Specialist Procedure (September 2017)
The ASI Registered Specialist Procedure describes the process and requirements for processing applications from a Technical Expert that wishes to become an ASI Registered Specialist
Flyers and overviews
ASI Certification Flyer (February 2018)
The ASI Certification Overview Flyer describes the process of getting certified to the ASI Standards and all the elements involved, including the benefits of certification, supporting documentation, steps to certification, and more.
Indigenous Peoples Advisory Forum Flyer (January 2018)
- Rio Tinto First to Achieve ASI Certification for Sustainable Practices in Light Metal Age, Published April 2018
- New Certification Program Addresses Aluminum Sustainability: Interview with Dr. Fiona Solomon, ASI in Light Metal Age. Published February 2018
- Conference Addresses Sustainability Standards in Window and Door online. Published February 27, 2018
- Green Economy Series: Hybrid Electric, Plug-in Hybrid Electric and Battery Electric Vehicles Published by Levin Sources in August 2017
- How would you like your aluminium? Green or black? From Reuters. Published May 10, 2017
- Several ASI-related articles. in Aluminium International Today Packaging Supplement. Published April 2017
- Une certification favorable aux alumineries québécoises. In Les affaires. Published February 25, 2017
- Forging ahead with the development of the Performance and Chain of Custody Standards for the aluminium value chain. In International Aluminium Journal. Published October 2016
- Zertifiziert. In Metallmarkt. Published July 2016.
- Fostering greater sustainability in the aluminium value chain. In Constellium Business and sustainability performance report 2015. Published 2016.
- Aluminium Stewardship Initiative: Mehr Nachhaltigkeit und Transparenz im Aluminiumsektor. In Aluminium Praxis Magazin 01.16. Published 2016. English translation.
- Cradle to gate: life cycle impact of primary aluminium production. In The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. Published 2015.
- Using initiative. Aluminium International Today Magazine. Published 2015.
An interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon.
- “Sustainability questions are increasingly important for every industry and the aluminium industry is no exception.” An Interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon. Published 16.2.16.
- Collaboration for a closed-loop value chain: Transferable learning points from the REALCAR project. This report explores the lessons learnt from the REALCAR closed loop value chain project between Jaguar Land Rover, Novelis, Innovate UK and other industrial, academic and funding partners.
- Mining, the Aluminium Industry and Indigenous Peoples (September 2015)
The Indigenous Peoples Advisory Forum publication Mining, the Aluminium Industry and Indigenous Peoples recounts the rich and varied experiences shared at the Indigenous Peoples’ Expert Meeting on the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) held in Chiang Mai in May 2015.
ASI primarily makes its documents available electronically, to reduce environmental impacts. However where required, copies of ASI documents can be printed on a laser printer and posted on request. A small administrative fee may apply. Contact email@example.com
More on Voluntary Standards Initiatives
The ISEAL Alliance is the global membership organisation for sustainability standards. ISEAL’s mission is to strengthen sustainability standards systems for the benefit of people and the environment. Their website has a wealth of information on good practice and the work of its members across a wide range of sectors and industries.
As an ISEAL subscriber ASI is part of the wider ISEAL community, and plans to apply for membership once its certification system is in operation and can be evaluated against ISEAL’s membership criteria.
ASI’s Performance Standard references a number of important social, environmental and governance criteria. The standards and initiatives below share common interests and objectives: