Welcome to the Library. Our aim is to present stories, media and links relevant to the aluminium industry, exploring the context within which the ASI works, as well as portraying the efforts and outcomes of the ASI, its members and partners.
ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard sets out requirements for the creation of a Chain of Custody for CoC Material, including ASI Aluminium, which is produced and processed through the value chain into diverse downstream sectors.
Guidance: ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody Standard Guidance has been developed as a resource to assist ASI Members seeking CoC Certification, and for ASI Accredited Auditors carrying out independent third party audits.
ASI Assurance Manual V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Assurance Manual set out the principles, procedures and objectives for the assurance model that support ASI Certification. It aligns with the principles outlined in the ISEAL Alliance Code of Good Practice.
ASI Complaints Mechanism (November 2015)
The ASI Complaints Mechanism aims to ensure the fair, timely and objective resolution of complaints relating to ASI’s standards setting processes, certification program, auditor conduct and ASI policies and procedures.
ASI Governance Handbook (September 2019)
The ASI Governance Handbook provides an overview of the design and implementation of the ASI governance model. It is aimed at orienting and guiding the various participants in ASI’s governance structure, including Board directors, Committee members and ASI staff.
ASI Human Rights Policy (April 2021)
Through the ASI Human Rights Policy, we aim to address our own corporate responsibility and actions, in addition to what is delivered through our standards programs and implemented by ASI members.
ASI Interim Policy regarding Audits, Audit-Related Travel and Coronavirus (March 2020)
This interim policy adopted by the ASI Board regarding Audits, Audit-Related Travel and Coronavirus clarifies the reasonable accommodations that can be made to audit plans in consideration of the current COVID-19 situation.
ASI Data Publication Policy (January 2020)
The Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) aims to publish data on its program wherever possible and appropriate, to support transparency, accountability and stakeholder value. This Data Publication Policy, summarises the use, distribution and format of data that ASI publishes.
Interim Policy for ASI Members’ Material Conversion Facilities (November 2019)
This interim policy, adopted by the ASI Board and arising from ASI’s 2019 Governance Review, is applicable toASI Members with Material Conversion facilities that are seeking ASI Certification.
ASI Joint Ventures Policy (February 2019)
ASI recognises that there are many sizes and types of business entity in the aluminium value chain and aims to be inclusive in its membership structure and certification program. The Joint Ventures Policy summarises how Joint Ventures can participate in ASI.
ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy (September 2017)
The purpose of competition/antitrust law is to ensure that markets are free and fair by prohibiting distortions of competition. The ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy aims to ensure that nothing done by ASI and/or its members in contravention of competition laws at any level.
ASI Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy (May 2016)
The Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy sets out the form and manner organisations must follow to apply for ASI membership.
ASI Sustainability Policy (January 2020)
The ASI Sustainability Policy identifies higher impact activities with potential sustainability impacts and mitigation approaches, provides guidance for internal decision-making by the ASI Secretariat, shares ASI’s commitments with its stakeholders.
ASI Confidentiality Policy (January 2020)
ASI elementAl System Users Policy (January 2020)
Knack (elementAl) Security Information (January 2020)
The Knack (elementAl) Security Information brief summarises relevant security information of the Knack platform, on which ASI’s Assurance Platform ‘elementAl’ has been developed, and make it available to all users.
ASI Style Guide (July 2020)
The ASI Style Guide covers the rules for working with the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) identity, and defines how to use typefaces, colours and imagery. This style guide is intended as a reference and guide for the use and reproduction of the ASI brand.
Applications and procedures
ASI Standards Benchmarking and Harmonisation Procedure (June 2019)
The ASI Standards Benchmarking and Harmonisation Procedure describes the identification, benchmarking and review of external Standards and Schemes for potential harmonisation with, including recognition by and of, ASI Standards.
ASI Audit Report Oversight Assessment Procedure Version 3 (March 2021)
The Audit Report Oversight Assessment Procedure describes the internal oversight assessment processes carried out by the ASI Secretariat to review ASI Audit Reports.
ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure (April 2020)
The ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure describes the process and requirements for the accreditation of Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) and their Individual Auditors which once accredited by ASI, are known as ASI Accredited Auditors.
ASI Auditor Competence and Assessment Procedure (April 2020)
The ASI Auditor Competence and Assessment Procedure describes the requirements set by ASI, and the associated processes carried out by the ASI Secretariat, to ensure competent implementation of the ASI assurance system by Accredited Auditor personnel.
ASI Auditor Accreditation – Annual Renewal Confirmation (April 2020)
The ASI Auditor Accreditation – Annual Renewal Confirmation describes the Annual Renewal Confirmation process for ASI Accredited Auditing Firms.
ASI Registered Specialist Approval Procedure (April 2020)
The ASI Registered Specialist Approval Procedure describes the process and requirements for processing applications from a Technical Expert that wishes to become an ASI Registered Specialist
ASI Registered Specialist Competence and Assessment Procedure (April 2020)
The ASI Registered Specialist Competence and Assessment Procedure describes the requirements set by ASI, and the associated processes carried out by the ASI Secretariat, to ensure competent implementation of the ASI assurance system by Accredited Auditor personnel.
ASI Impacts Code – Public System Report (October 2020 )
The ASI Impacts Code Public System Report is designed to provide a simplified overview of the key aspects of our monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system to stakeholders.
ASI Communications Procedure for Changes to ASI Documents (June 2019 )
The ASI Communications Procedure for Changes to ASI describes the mechanisms ASI will use to communicate changes to ASI Documents to affected Stakeholders, including Members and Auditors.
ASI Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Plan (April 2019)
ASI’s M&E program is a key tool forASIto gain insight into the outcomes and impact of its efforts and that of its members and, over time, to support continual improvement of its program. The M&E Plan is intended as a dynamic document, similar to the ASI Risk Assessment and Management Plan, and will be regularly reviewed and updated.
- “In 2021, the Standards Revision work will continue to make important progress with a goal of launching the new version of the program in March 2022” Interview with Dr. Fiona Solomon in Alcircle, Published January 25, 2021.
- Despite the impact of COVID-19, we plan to continue to progress ASI’s mission with all the tools we have available to us. Interview with Dr. Fiona Solomon in Alcircle, Published April 29 2020.
- De ponta a ponta: multinacionais enxergam com bons olhos a compra de alumínio certificado. Published in Revista Aluminio. February 2020.
- Знакомьтесь: Фиона Соломон. Published by Russian Aluminium Association in February 2020.
- Update on the Aluminium Industry Response to Climate Change. In Light Metal Age, Published February 17, 2020.
- Sustentabilidade comprovada: Alcoa, CBA e Hydro recebem certificação internacional ASI. Published by Revista Aluminio. November 2020.
- Demonstrating Sustainability in the Aluminium Sector. In ALFED Aluminium News, p. 20
- An interview with Fiona Solomon, CEO of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI). AlCircle
- Introduction to the Science Based Target Initiative Aluminum Sector Project. World Resources Institute webinar
- INTERVIEW: Consumers, regulation driving push for responsible aluminium production – Rio Tinto Aluminium exec. In Metal Bulletin. Published September 2018
- Sustainability In Aluminium Production Off To A Good Start, But More Is Needed: Hydro’s Brandtzæg. In Aluminium Insider. Published August 2018
- Rio Tinto First to Achieve ASI Certification for Sustainable Practices in Light Metal Age, Published April 2018
- New Certification Program Addresses Aluminum Sustainability: Interview with Dr. Fiona Solomon, ASI in Light Metal Age. Published February 2018
- Conference Addresses Sustainability Standards in Window and Door online. Published February 27, 2018
- Green Economy Series: Hybrid Electric, Plug-in Hybrid Electric and Battery Electric Vehicles Published by Levin Sources in August 2017
- How would you like your aluminium? Green or black? From Reuters. Published May 10, 2017
- Several ASI-related articles. in Aluminium International Today Packaging Supplement. Published April 2017
- Une certification favorable aux alumineries québécoises. In Les affaires. Published February 25, 2017
- Forging ahead with the development of the Performance and Chain of Custody Standards for the aluminium value chain. In International Aluminium Journal. Published October 2016
- Zertifiziert. In Metallmarkt. Published July 2016.
- Fostering greater sustainability in the aluminium value chain. In Constellium Business and sustainability performance report 2015. Published 2016.
- Aluminium Stewardship Initiative: Mehr Nachhaltigkeit und Transparenz im Aluminiumsektor. In Aluminium Praxis Magazin 01.16. Published 2016. English translation.
- Cradle to gate: life cycle impact of primary aluminium production. In The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. Published 2015.
- Using initiative. Aluminium International Today Magazine. Published 2015.
An interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon.
- “Sustainability questions are increasingly important for every industry and the aluminium industry is no exception.” An Interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon. Published 16.2.16.
- Réseau Environment Bauxite in Guinea published by Fauna and Flora International
The focus of this case study is the recently established sectoral network, the Réseau Environment Bauxite (REB), which formed in response to growing concerns by some operators of the cumulative impacts of bauxite mining and recognition that these issues could not be addressed by any single operator alone. This case study brings together experience and learning from the creation and operation of the Réseau Environment Bauxite and emphasises the value of industry-led development of a multi-operator platform to respond to recognised challenges that cannot be addressed by any individual operator alone. Available in English and in French.
- Collaboration for a closed-loop value chain: Transferable learning points from the REALCAR project. (2016) This report explores the lessons learnt from the REALCAR closed loop value chain project between Jaguar Land Rover, Novelis, Innovate UK and other industrial, academic and funding partners.
- Creating Value Together. (2018) Published by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Standards and the Extractive Economy. (2018) Published by the International Institute for Sustainable Development
- Monitoring impact of mineral sustainability standards to align with the SDGs. (2018) Published by Centre for Social Responsibility in Mining (CSRM), The University of Queensland: Brisbane.
- Indigenous Peoples’ Participation in Sustainability Standards for Extractives. (2018) A report prepared for the German Development Corporation (GIZ)
- Sustainability Schemes for Mineral Resources. (2017) Published by German Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources
- Mining, the Aluminium Industry and Indigenous Peoples. (2015) Indigenous Peoples Advisory Forum publication
ASI primarily makes its documents available electronically, to reduce environmental impacts. However where required, copies of ASI documents can be printed on a laser printer and posted on request. A small administrative fee may apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
ASI Limitation of Liability Disclaimer
Organisations that make ASI-related claims are each responsible for their own compliance with Applicable Law, including laws and regulations related to labelling, advertisement, and consumer protection, and competition or antitrust laws, at all times. ASI does not accept liability for any violations of Applicable Law or any infringement of third-party rights (each a Breach) by other organisations, even where such Breach arises in relation to, or in reliance upon, any ASI Standard, document or other material, recommendation or directive issued by or on behalf of ASI. ASI gives no undertaking, representation or warranty that compliance with an ASI Standard, document or other material, recommendation or directive issued by or on behalf of ASI will result in compliance with any Applicable law, or will avoid any Breach from occurring.