Welcome to the Library. Our aim is to present stories, media and links relevant to the aluminium industry, exploring the context within which the ASI works, as well as portraying the efforts and outcomes of the ASI, its members and partners.
ASI Performance Standard V2 (December 2017)
The ASI Performance Standard defines environmental, social and governance principles and criteria, with the aim to address sustainability issues in the aluminium value chain.
Guidance: ASI Performance Standard V2 (December 2017)
The ASI Performance Standard Guidance is designed to assist ASI Members to fulfil their commitment to implement the Performance Standard and achieve Certification.
ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard sets out requirements for the creation of a Chain of Custody for CoC Material, including ASI Aluminium, which is produced and processed through the value chain into diverse downstream sectors.
Guidance: ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Chain of Custody Standard Guidance has been developed as a resource to assist ASI Members seeking CoC Certification, and for ASI Accredited Auditors carrying out independent third party audits.
ASI Assurance Manual V1 (December 2017)
The ASI Assurance Manual set out the principles, procedures and objectives for the assurance model that support ASI Certification. It aligns with the principles outlined in the ISEAL Alliance Code of Good Practice.
ASI Complaints Mechanism (November 2015)
The ASI Complaints Mechanism aims to ensure the fair, timely and objective resolution of complaints relating to ASI’s standards setting processes, certification program, auditor conduct and ASI policies and procedures.
ASI Governance Handbook (September 2017)
The ASI Governance Handbook provides an overview of the design and implementation of the ASI governance model. It is aimed at orienting and guiding the various participants in ASI’s governance structure, including Board directors, Committee members and ASI staff.
ASI Joint Ventures Policy (February 2019)
ASI recognises that there are many sizes and types of business entity in the aluminium value chain and aims to be inclusive in its membership structure and certification program. The Joint Ventures Policy summarises how Joint Ventures can participate in ASI.
ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy (September 2017)
The purpose of competition/antitrust law is to ensure that markets are free and fair by prohibiting distortions of competition. The ASI Antitrust Compliance Policy aims to ensure that nothing done by ASI and/or its members in contravention of competition laws at any level.
ASI Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy (May 2016)
The Member Recruitment and Information Management Policy sets out the form and manner organisations must follow to apply for ASI membership.
ASI Confidentiality Policy (September 2017)
ASI elementAl System Users Policy (September 2017)
ASI Style Guide (June 2019)
The ASI Style Guide covers the rules for working with the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) identity, and defines how to use typefaces, colours and imagery. This style guide is intended as a reference and guide for the use and reproduction of the ASI brand.
Procedures and applications
ASI Independent Accreditation Review Panel (IARP) Procedure (October 2018)
The ASI Independent Accreditation Review Panel (IARP) Procedure describes the requirements set by ASI for the selection of the Independent Accreditation Review Panel and the associated processes carried out by the Independent Accreditation Review Panel (IARP). The purpose of the IARP is to ensure that accreditation and certification processes and decisions in relation to awarding, maintaining, extending, reducing, suspending and/or withdrawing ASI Accreditations and ASI Certifications, are carried out in accordance with the ASI Assurance Manual, and related procedures.
ASI Auditor Competence and Assessment Procedure (September 2018)
The ASI Auditor Competence and Assessment Procedure describes the requirements set by ASI, and the associated processes carried out by the ASI Secretariat, to ensure competent implementation of the ASI assurance system by Accredited Auditor personnel.
ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure (February 2019)
The ASI Auditor Accreditation Procedure describes the process and requirements for the accreditation of Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) and their Individual Auditors which once accredited by ASI, are known as ASI Accredited Auditors.
ASI Registered Specialist Procedure (September 2017)
The ASI Registered Specialist Procedure describes the process and requirements for processing applications from a Technical Expert that wishes to become an ASI Registered Specialist
ASI Certification Audit Report Oversight Assessment Procedure Version 1 (August 2018 )
The Certification Audit Report Oversight Assessment Procedure describes the internal oversight assessment processes carried out by the ASI Secretariat to review ASI Certification Audit Reports.
ASI Strategic Plan (October 2018)
The 2019 Strategic Plan is ASI’s fourth, following plans developed for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 financial years. Each of ASI’s Strategic Plans has been structured around the four strategic priorities of Effective governance, Credible program, Growing membership, Financial resilience.
ASI Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Plan (April 2019)
ASI’s M&E program is a key tool forASIto gain insight into the outcomes and impact of its efforts and that of its members and, over time, to support continual improvement of its program. The M&E Plan is intended as a dynamic document, similar to the ASI Risk Assessment and Management Plan, and will be regularly reviewed and updated.
Flyers and overviews
ASI 2018 Progress Report (May 2018)
The ASI 2018 Progress Report provides a snapshot of the development progress of the ASI Standards, an overview of ASI’s governance, overall program and finances, and more.
ASI 2017 Progress Report (February 2017)
The ASI 2017 Progress Report provides a snapshot of the development progress of the ASI Standards, an overview of ASI’s governance, overall program and finances, and more.
Indigenous Peoples Advisory Forum Flyer (January 2018)
- An interview with Fiona Solomon, CEO of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI). AlCircle
- Introduction to the Science Based Target Initiative Aluminum Sector Project. World Resources Institute webinar
- INTERVIEW: Consumers, regulation driving push for responsible aluminium production – Rio Tinto Aluminium exec. In Metal Bulletin. Published September 2018
- Sustainability In Aluminium Production Off To A Good Start, But More Is Needed: Hydro’s Brandtzæg. In Aluminium Insider. Published August 2018
- Rio Tinto First to Achieve ASI Certification for Sustainable Practices in Light Metal Age, Published April 2018
- New Certification Program Addresses Aluminum Sustainability: Interview with Dr. Fiona Solomon, ASI in Light Metal Age. Published February 2018
- Conference Addresses Sustainability Standards in Window and Door online. Published February 27, 2018
- Green Economy Series: Hybrid Electric, Plug-in Hybrid Electric and Battery Electric Vehicles Published by Levin Sources in August 2017
- How would you like your aluminium? Green or black? From Reuters. Published May 10, 2017
- Several ASI-related articles. in Aluminium International Today Packaging Supplement. Published April 2017
- Une certification favorable aux alumineries québécoises. In Les affaires. Published February 25, 2017
- Forging ahead with the development of the Performance and Chain of Custody Standards for the aluminium value chain. In International Aluminium Journal. Published October 2016
- Zertifiziert. In Metallmarkt. Published July 2016.
- Fostering greater sustainability in the aluminium value chain. In Constellium Business and sustainability performance report 2015. Published 2016.
- Aluminium Stewardship Initiative: Mehr Nachhaltigkeit und Transparenz im Aluminiumsektor. In Aluminium Praxis Magazin 01.16. Published 2016. English translation.
- Cradle to gate: life cycle impact of primary aluminium production. In The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. Published 2015.
- Using initiative. Aluminium International Today Magazine. Published 2015.
An interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon.
- “Sustainability questions are increasingly important for every industry and the aluminium industry is no exception.” An Interview with ASI Executive Director, Dr. Fiona Solomon. Published 16.2.16.
- Collaboration for a closed-loop value chain: Transferable learning points from the REALCAR project. This report explores the lessons learnt from the REALCAR closed loop value chain project between Jaguar Land Rover, Novelis, Innovate UK and other industrial, academic and funding partners.
- Indigenous Peoples’ Participation in Sustainability Standards for Extractives (March 2018)
This study explores Indigenous Peoples’ participation in sustainability standards for the extractives industry. In this study, ‘extractives industry’ refers to the mining, forestry, hydrocarbon, industrial agriculture and hydroelectricity sectors. These sectors are increasingly operating on Indigenous Peoples’ lands, and commonly have damaging environmental and socio-cultural (including human rights) impacts for the Indigenous Peoples. Sustainability standards (i.e. best-practice operational procedures, including sector-specific Certification Programs) have emerged as means to mitigate these impacts and improve the benefits for Indigenous Peoples facing extractives developments. The best-practice design and implementation of sustainability standards underpinning Certification Programs requires the active participation of Indigenous Peoples in program governance and assurance processes. The Aluminium Stewardship Initiative is noted as a case example of Indigenous Peoples participation in a sustainable certification program.
- Mining, the Aluminium Industry and Indigenous Peoples (September 2015)
The Indigenous Peoples Advisory Forum publication Mining, the Aluminium Industry and Indigenous Peoples recounts the rich and varied experiences shared at the Indigenous Peoples’ Expert Meeting on the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) held in Chiang Mai in May 2015.
ASI primarily makes its documents available electronically, to reduce environmental impacts. However where required, copies of ASI documents can be printed on a laser printer and posted on request. A small administrative fee may apply. Contact email@example.com
More on Voluntary Standards Initiatives
The ISEAL Alliance is the global membership organisation for sustainability standards. ISEAL’s mission is to strengthen sustainability standards systems for the benefit of people and the environment. Their website has a wealth of information on good practice and the work of its members across a wide range of sectors and industries.
As an ISEAL subscriber ASI is part of the wider ISEAL community, and plans to apply for membership once its certification system is in operation and can be evaluated against ISEAL’s membership criteria.
ASI’s Performance Standard references a number of important social, environmental and governance criteria. The standards and initiatives below share common interests and objectives: