CABs: Critical to maintaining credibility of ASI Standards
The credibility of ASI’s Certification program hinges on the quality and independence of the third party Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) and Auditors. The roles and responsibilities of ASI Accredited Auditors in the Certification process include to:
- Conduct independent Audits against the relevant ASI Standard/s
- Verify information included in the Self Assessment including the Certification Scope (see section 4 and determine the Overall Risk Maturity assessment (see section 0)
- Identify any Non-Conformances which require Corrective Action by the Member
- Recognise when Audit objectives are unattainable and report the reasons to the Member and the ASI Secretariat
- Prepare Audit Reports for the ASI Secretariat and the Member
- Carry out follow-up reviews of progress against milestones, if required.
CABs and their Auditors must have appropriate experience and expertise and ensure that there is no conflict of interest when undertaking audits for Members. Accreditation requirements are based on recognised certification standards:
- ISO/IEC 17021 accreditation for management system certification schemes or an equivalent technical certification standard for management systems. ¹
- ISO/IEC 17065 accreditation for product certification schemes (which includes processes and services) or an equivalent technical certification standard for product certification management systems.
 The CAB’s Accreditation must be demonstrated through independent assessment by an organisation registered with European Co-operative for Accreditation (EA) or the International Accreditation forum (IAF) or some other equivalent independent review. It cannot be demonstrated though a self-assessment or first party audit.
Procedure and relevant documentation
Auditor accreditation webinar
Essential for filling expertise gaps
Technical Experts may wish to be formally registered as ASI Registered Specialists for their specific knowledge or expertise that can support implementation and/or assessment of ASI Standards.
Registered Specialists may be commissioned by a:
- Member (or an Entity) to support the development and/or implementation of the Entity’s systems and processes required by the ASI Standards; or
- An Audit Team to advise the Lead Auditor and Individual Auditors regarding the planning, execution and/or follow-up activities for an ASI Certification Audit.
More instruction and procedures for Registered Specialists will be added to this page shortly.