ASI periodically conducts independent outcome and impact evaluations on specific topics of critical importance to implementing our Monitoring & Evaluation program. These outcome or impact evaluations are undertaken by independent third-parties to document results and evaluate the effectiveness of ASI’s standards and certification program.
Below, we provide the evaluations that have been completed, are ongoing, and are in the planning stage.
Data Collation and Validation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHGs) from ASI Members
ASI management response
This outcome evaluation provides useful insights into the challenges facing ASI’s Members and Entities in adopting a consistent, accurate and complete approach to GHG emissions reporting and public disclosure. ASI has considered the findings of this Report with respect to its current review process of the ASI Performance Standard, including the criteria relating to Principle 5 – Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
- The ASI GHG Working Group and ASI Standards Committee have both also reviewed the findings of this Report, and considered its main outcomes in the development of revised draft criteria.
- During 2021, the findings and recommendation from this evaluation will also directly inform the revision of existing ASI Performance Standard Guidance and development of new Guidance (as required) to better support Members and Entities in effectively implementing the revised requirements of Principle 5 of the Standard when the updated Standard is released in early 2022.
- The outcome evaluation also offers the ASI Secretariat additional baseline and comparative data to support the audit oversight process, when assessing Entity performance against select criterion of Principle 5.
- ASI also expects this evaluation to inform the development and facilitation of GHG-specific auditor training modules as part of the revised Standard implementation process.
- Gulkula Mining Company and ASI Certification
Gulkula Mining Company (GMC) is an Indigenous owned and Indigenous operated bauxite mine undertaking mining operations on its own traditional lands. It commenced operations in October 2017.GMC joined ASI as Production and Transformation member in February 2018 and achieved ASI Performance Standard provisional certification at its bauxite mine operation on the traditional lands of the Yolngu people in East Arnhem in Australia’s Northern Territory in January 2020. Gulkula is the first Indigenous owned and operated bauxite mine to achieve ASI Certification.
This independent external evaluation looks at the role of ASI Certification on Gulkula’s mining practices, at the practices that have improved as a result of activities at Gulkula and ASI’s certification process, and the most important challenges and opportunities encountered en route to achieving ASI Certification. The evaluation is conducted by Dr. Mark Annandale of the University of the Sunshine Coast and Dr. Penda Diallo, Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter. The report is expected in Q2 2021 and will be uploaded on this webpage.
- None at this time.