ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard
Current version: Draft Version 1 (2017)
ASI’s certification program aims to drive uptake of standards that foster responsible production, sourcing and stewardship of aluminium by companies in the supply chain.
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard is being developed to connect assurance about business’ practices under the ASI Performance Standard, to claims about aluminium and responsible sourcing.
The ASI CoC Standard defines requirements for Entities and Facilities implementing chain of custody management systems, including systems for sourcing, accounting and transfer of CoC Material and Eligible Scrap. It covers both primary and secondary (recycled) production, throughout the aluminium supply chain.
The current Draft Version 1 was included in the 2017 Public Consultation, with the final Version 1 to be launched with the Performance Standard and normative documentation at the end of 2017/beginning 2018.
Path to launch of the Standard
See the Path to Launch page for more information on the next steps in 2017 toward launching the ASI Standards Program.
What parts of the supply chain are covered by the CoC Standard?
The ASI CoC Standard defines 3 key stages for the flow of CoC Material in supply chains. These stages involve quite different kinds of entities responsible for handling raw materials, metal production, and further fabrication and manufacturing to final products:
- Primary Aluminium: Mine to Casthouse
- Recycled Aluminium: Scrap to Casthouse
- Post-Casthouse: Semi-fabrication and manufacturing to final product.
History of CoC Standard development
A previous public consultation period for the Chain of Custody (CoC) Draft 3 and Guidance Draft 1 was open from Friday October 21 until Friday December 23, 2016. The consultation versions are available below for information purposes, along with a log of comments received.
- ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard – Draft 3 – For Public Consultation – October 2016
- ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standards Guidance – Draft 1 – For Public Consultation – October 2016
- La norme de chaîne de contrôle CoC de l’ASI – 3ème version préliminaire pour consultation publique – Octobre 2016
- Market Credits System proposal – FAQ [pdf]
In Q1 2017, the ASI Standards Committee considered all the feedback and comments received. A log of the comments received and ASI’s responses is available in an Excel file below. The comments can be re-ordered using the filter tabs at the head of each column. A separate tab groups specific feedback on the Market Credits System that was submitted in a dedicated section on the comments form. A summary report is also available:
- ASI Chain of Custody Standard 2016 consultation – Log of comments received (Excel)
- ASI Chain of Custody Standard 2016 consultation – Summary report (PDF)
ASI sincerely thanks all who took the time to review and provide feedback on the CoC drafts.
Draft 1 of the CoC Standard was drafted and reviewed with the ASI Standards Setting Group (SSG) during 2014. It proposed a mass-balance volume-credit model, which can be applied at the company and/or facility level. Following input from the SSG and some stakeholders, Draft 2 of the CoC Standard was then published on the ASI website in January 2015.
In April 2016, the ASI Standards Committee was established and has worked to formalise its approach to standards development in accordance with ISEAL requirements, and prepared a new draft of the CoC Standard for public comment. The following have now been published on the ASI website:
- April 2016 onwards: Minutes of Standards Committee meetings.
- June 2016: ASI Standards Setting Procedure: this sets out how the Standards Committee develop and approve new and revised standards for adoption by the ASI Board.
- July 2016: ASI CoC Standard – Public Summary and Consultation Plan: published for public comment from July to September 2016.
- October 2016: ASI CoC Standard (draft 3) and Standards Guidance (draft 1): for public comment, see higher up on this page.