Standards for the aluminium value chain
The ASI Performance and Chain of Custody Standards have been developed and designed to be globally applied, and throughout the aluminium value chain to:
- enable the aluminium industry to demonstrate responsibility and provide independent and credible assurance of performance;
- reinforce and promote consumer and stakeholder confidence in aluminium products;
- reduce reputational risks concerning aluminium and aluminium industry players; and
- address the expressed needs by downstream industrial users and consumers for responsible sourcing of aluminium.
ASI’s standards are applicable to all stages of aluminium production and transformation, specifically: bauxite mining, alumina refining, primary aluminium production, semi-fabrication (rolling, extrusion, forging and foundry), material conversion, and refining and re-melting of recycled scrap, as well as material stewardship criteria relevant to downstream users of aluminium.
Core program elements
The following documents, launched in December 2017, form the core of the ASI Certification program:
- ASI Performance Standard V2 defines environmental, social and governance principles and criteria, with the aim to address sustainability issues in the aluminium value chain. A Guidance document supports implementation and interpretation. More about the ASI Performance Standard.
- ASI Chain of Custody Standard V1 sets out requirements for the creation of a Chain of Custody for CoC Material, including ASI Aluminium, which is produced and processed through the value chain into diverse downstream sectors. A Guidance document supports implementation and interpretation. More about the ASI Chain of Custody Standard.
- ASI’s Assurance Manual V1 sets out the principles, procedures and objectives for the assurance model that supports ASI Certification. More about the ASI Assurance Manual.
- ASI’s Claims Guide V1 sets out the rules and supporting guidance for the types of claims made regarding ASI Certification and Membership. More about the ASI claims Guide.
- Download the above six documents in a zip file.
Translations into Chinese, French and other languages are in development and will be posted here as soon as available.
The ASI assurance model seeks to harmonise with other standards and initiatives wherever possible and appropriate, in order to reduce unnecessary duplication. The ASI Benchmarking and Harmonisation Working Group works to identify related external schemes in operation which share issues and objectives with ASI Standards that can be recognised in the ASI Assurance Manual. Requests for evaluation of other relevant external schemes not yet assessed should be sent to email@example.com
- The responsible aluminium and ASI backgrounder outlines the application of the ASI Standards to specific issues relevant to the aluminium value chain (e.g., climate change, indigenous peoples’ rights, etc.)
- Webinars are available on various aspects of the ASI Standards program and overviews of the Standards on our Youtube channel
- Trace the history of the development of the Performance Standard